Monday, November 29, 2010

Two Peas in a Pod.

Today you get my letter first and then Kyle's response:


Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Robert Frost, 1923

I thought you might want to read the original.  President Monson LOVES good literature and has memorized many, many poems and quotes, and scriptures.  Robert Frost actually wrote the words you attributed to President Monson.  Robert Frost is my favorite poet.  Here is my very, very favorite poem and the one I chose to include in our family scrap-booking pages this year.  It is called the Road Less Traveled.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

...Robert Frost


That is my all-time favorite and the one that helps me to remember that when I travel roads less taken, within the gospel parameters, by the world particularly, it will make all the difference.

So.....I loved the quote that came to your mind from the President of SVU.  Yes, you are right!!  The experiences we have are what make us into who we are and who we need to be.  Without the pain and loneliness, we cannot truly appreciate the joy and love of friendship and companionship.  And then, because we have experienced the opposite, we revel and bask in the warmth of those who really complete us and help us to reach for the divine potential within us and push us to be better than who we are.  I know that is why I love your father so much.  He will not allow me to be less than I am and his perception of where I am or where he thinks I should be drives me to improve.  It is still a painful process sometimes, because it is growth and challenge, but I am more than 100 times better a person today than I was when we were married.  And I can pretty much handle others disappointment in me, but if I receive it from your father....oooh ouch!!  That hurts!!  Then I try to fix it.

I hope you are enjoying your new companion.  I'm sure you have sat up nights laughing and laughing (hopefully not, you've been working too hard instead.)  Also, I was wrong, Sam comes home in FEBRUARY!!!!  No joke!!

What cool holidays does Brazil celebrate??  KK, love you buddy!!

And here is my birthday song for you!!---Happy, happy birthday Kylee dear, happy days will come to you all year.  If I had one wish than it would be, That we could be together for your 20th birthday!!  We hope you have a fabulous day!!  happy 20th Kyle!! 

Love you, love you!
Mom



I don't know if you knew this or not, but Robert Frost is My favorite poet and the road less traveled has been my favorite poem since I read it sophomore year of high school in English class! =) I LOVE THAT POEM!!!! =) Yeas my new companion is awesome! we have been having a lot of fun this week and I have worked harder this week than I have any other week, because I've been the one planning since I know the area and where we need to go. and He's technically senior, but this is his first transfer as senior so he's still a little bit slow on somethings and I've done more than he has in some areas so I'm enjoying it because we work as equals, but I've been more the senior because I know the people and area, which I have really enjoyed setting my own pace and working and not following. I know it's important to know how to follow, but it's awful following =P
 
I have two main questions to ask. When I was little there were two movies that I watched a lot. One was about an otter and a little girl and it was really sad...=( but really funny too. Then the other was a Christmas movie about a little stuffed bear it was a cartoon and the only scene I can remember is a delivery truck driving away and the narrator saying, "One stop away from where lost socks end up," or something like that =P What two movies are these? Do you know? So far the only holidays that I know are Christmas and carnival....lol um...We had two more baptisms this week and it's my birthday and I really don't know what else to say. lol I sunburned my head when I cut my hair too short and now it's disgustingly flaky and my comp and I saw one of the most deadly snakes in the world this week for which there is no cure. But it looked like a worm, but its a good thing we didn't pick it up like we wanted to. lol It's called the blind snake or something like that.  Idk in English but I have to go before my time runs out take it easy and have a good one!
love you all bye =)
Elder Lund

1 comment:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KYLE!!! I just came across your Elder-Blog for the first time! Cool :D
    I just had my birthday, too--but in Guam! Sounds like you're having an awesome time in Brazil. See you in HumCo a looong time from now (haha--actually, it's not really that long, I guess)! Don't know if you'll ever read this, but it's the thought that counts anyhow (right??!)...
    --Hannah Stutzman, Humboldt Branch kid (currently on Guam)

    ReplyDelete